Agenda Items and Meeting Materials
NOTICE OF TELECONFERENCE MEETING
January 25-26, 2023
Christina Bradbury, DVM, President
Maria Preciosa S. Solacito, DVM, Vice President
Jennifer Loredo, RVT
Jaymie Noland, DVM
Maria Salazar Sperber
The Veterinary Medical Board (Board) will meet by teleconference at
10:00 a.m., on Wednesday, January 25, and 9:00 a.m., on Thursday, January 26, 2023,
with the following location available for Board and public member participation:
Department of Consumer Affairs
1747 N. Market Blvd., Hearing Room
Sacramento, CA 95834
This meeting will be held via WebEx Events. Instructions to connect to the meeting can be found at: https://vmb.ca.gov/meetings/agendas/joinwebex.pdf.
To participate virtually in the WebEx Events meeting on January 25, 2023, please log on to this website the day of the meeting:
Event number: 2493 347 6374
Event password: VMB1252023 (86212520 from phones)
To participate virtually in the WebEx Events meeting on January 26, 2023, please log on to this website the day of the meeting:
Event number: 2494 114 9694
Event password: VMB1262023 (86212620 from phones)
Due to potential technical difficulties, please consider submitting written comments by January 18, 2023, to VMB@dca.ca.gov for consideration.
10:00 a.m., Wednesday, January 25, 2023
- Call to Order/Roll Call/Establishment of a Quorum
- Public Comment on Items Not on the Agenda
Note: The Board may not discuss or take action on any matter raised during this public comment section, except to decide whether to place the matter on the agenda of a future meeting. (Government Code sections 11125, 7(a).)
- Review and Approval of October 19-20, 2022 Board Meeting Minutes
- Report and Update from Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
- Update and Discussion Regarding Assembly Bill (AB) 1282 (Bloom, Chapter 752, Statutes of 2021) Veterinary Medicine: Blood Banks for Animals; and California Department of Food and Agriculture’s (CDFA) California Animal Blood Banking Guidance Resource Document
- Review, Discussion, and Possible Action on Multidisciplinary Advisory Committee (MDC) Report – Leah Shufelt, RVT, Chair, MDC
- Overview of January 24, 2023 MDC Meeting
- Recommendation on Proposed Regulatory Amendments to California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 16, Sections 2036.5, 2090, 2091, 2092, and 2094 Regarding Veterinary Drug Compounding
- Recommendation on Proposed Revisions to Guidance on Veterinary Drug Compounding Regarding Drug Consultation
- Recommendation on Legislative Proposal to Amend Sections 4825.1 of Article 2 and 4875.1 of Article 4, and Add Sections 4826.01, 4826.6, and 4829.1 to Article 2, Chapter 11, Division 2 of the Business and Professions Code Regarding Veterinarian-ClientPatient Relationship and Telemedicine
- Recommendation on California Horse Racing Board Regulatory Proposal to Amend CCR, Title 4, Section 1867 Regarding Prohibited Veterinary Practices
- Recommendation on Proposed Regulatory Amendments to CCR, Title 16, Sections 2032.1, 2034, and 2036 Regarding Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship, Animal Health Care Tasks Definitions, and Animal Health Care Tasks for R.V.T.
- Recommendation on Legislative Proposal to Repeal Business and Professions Code Section 4875.3, Subdivision (b) Regarding Veterinarian Review Criteria
- Recommendation to Add Subject Matter Expert Criteria to the Administrative Procedure Manual
- Recommendation Regarding Spectrum of Care Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommendation to Add to the Board’s Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship
- MDC 2023 Assignments
- Interviews, Discussion, and Possible Appointment to Fill Vacant MDC Veterinarian Member Position
- Update, Discussion, and Possible Action on Potential Legislation Regarding Cat Declaw Procedures
- Update on Pending Regulations
- Student Liaison Reports
- University of California, Davis Liaison – Amanda Ayers
- Western University of Health Sciences Liaison – Alexandra Ponkey
- Board President Report – Christina Bradbury, DVM
- Registered Veterinary Technician Report – Jennifer Loredo, RVT
- Recess until January 26, at 9:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m., Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Reconvene - Establishment of a Quorum
- Presentation from the International Council for Veterinary Assessment (ICVA) Regarding the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE)
- Presentation from the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) Regarding the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE)
- Update, Discussion, and Possible Action on National Association Involvement – Kathy Bowler
- AAVSB Policy and Regulatory Task Force
- Executive Management Reports
- Future Agenda Items and Next Meeting Dates
- Special Order of Business (1:00 p.m.)
- Recess Open Session
- Convene Closed Session
- Pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(e)(1) and (2)(A), the Board Will Meet in Closed Session to Confer and Receive Advice From Legal Counsel Regarding the Following Matter: San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, et al. v. Jessica Sieferman, United States District Court, Case No. 2:21-cv-00786-TLN-KJN
- Pursuant to Government Code Section 11126(c)(3), the Board Will Meet in Closed Session to Deliberate and Vote on Disciplinary Matters, Including the Above-Identified Petition and Stipulations and Proposed Decisions
- Adjourn Closed Session
RECONVENE OPEN SESSION
- Reconvene Open Session
- Adjournment – Meeting adjournment may not be webcast if it is the only item that occurs after Closed Session.
This agenda can be found on the Veterinary Medical Board website at www.vmb.ca.gov. The time and order of agenda items are subject to change at the discretion of the Board President and may be taken out of order. Items scheduled for a particular day may be moved to an earlier or later day to facilitate the effective transaction of business. In accordance with the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act, all meetings of the Board are open to the public.
In accordance with Government Code section 11133(b)(2)(A), the teleconference locations from which Board members may participate in the meeting may not be identified in the notice and agenda of the meeting.
This meeting will be webcast, provided there are no unforeseen technical difficulties or limitations. To view the webcast, please visit thedcapage.wordpress.com/webcasts/. The meeting will not be cancelled if webcast is not available.
Government Code section 11125.7 provides the opportunity for the public to address each agenda item during discussion or consideration by the Committee prior to the Committee taking any action on said item. Members of the public will be provided appropriate opportunities to comment on any issue before the Committee, but the Committee Chair may, at his or her discretion, apportion available time among those who wish to speak. Individuals may appear before the Committee to discuss items not on the agenda; however, the Committee can neither discuss nor take official action on these items at the time of the same meeting (Government Code sections 11125, 11125.7(a)).
The meeting location is accessible to the physical disabled. This meeting also is being held via WebEx Events and is accessible to the physically disabled. A person who needs disability-related accommodations or modifications to participate in the meeting may make a request by contacting the Board at (916) 515-5220, email: email@example.com, or send a written request to the Veterinary Medical Board, 1747 N. Market St., Suite 230, Sacramento, CA 95834. Providing your request at least five (5) business days prior to the meeting will help ensure availability of the requested accommodations. TDD Line: (916) 326-2297
 Face masks may or may not be required at the location(s) depending on state and local laws and business preferences on the date of the meeting.