Veterinary Assistant Controlled Substances Permit (VACSP) Program

In order for veterinary assistants to obtain or administer controlled substances, veterinary assistants must hold a Veterinary Assistant Controlled Substances Permit (VACSP) issued by the Board.

Effective October 1, 2016, the Veterinary Medical Board is accepting applications for the VACSP Program. To be eligible to apply for a VACSP, veterinary assistants must be at least 18 years of age and must not have been convicted of a state or federal felony controlled substance violation.

Once the VACSP has been issued, veterinary assistants will need to establish a supervisory relationship with a Licensee Manager at an animal health care facility. The Licensee Manager must then submit a VACSP / Licensee Manager Agreement and a Licensee Manager Acknowledgment Form to the Board. VACSP permit holders may not obtain or administer controlled substances without this supervisory relationship with a licensed California veterinarian. Disclosure of supervisor is not mandatory for issuance of a permit; however, it must be reported within 30 days of employment.

For more information, please visit our FAQs.